The IRS released updated guidance on the Employee Retention Credit program on September 14, 2023. The news release below explains that the IRS has placed an immediate moratorium through the end of the year on the processing of new ERC claims in effort to curb fraudulent applications by bad actors. While a moratorium may sound alarming, this intentional pause is a common practice used by the IRS.
This is a developing situation, and we will continue to provide updates as new information is released. This what we know so far:
- This news confirms that the ERC is still a valid and valuable tax incentive for qualified businesses – this is not a cancellation of the program.
- The IRS moratorium will delay taxpayers from receiving their ERC funds, but it does not prevent taxpayers from continuing to file for the credit.
- The IRS may ask for more information to process future ERC claims, which we are prepared to provide as it is already part of our normal substantiation process.
- We will only release a credit for your business if we are confident you meet the IRS requirements. The positions we take are in line with the updated guidance that the IRS has provided.
- A large portion of the businesses we evaluate for ERC do not meet IRS eligibility requirements. If we filed a credit on your behalf, it is because we are confident you qualify. You should not be concerned about the credits you have claimed. The positions we have taken continue to be in line with the updated guidance that the IRS has provided.
- The IRS is taking steps to help taxpayers remediate any inappropriately claimed credits in good faith. The IRS encourages taxpayers to evaluate their eligibility for the credit. If you know anyone concerned with a credit they claimed individually or through a company other than ERC Pros, we can offer assistance through our ERC Substantiation Services.
On January 31, 2024, the House passed the Tax Relief for American Families and Workers Act of 2024, which proposed an end to the ERC program effective January 31, 2024. This is now pending approval from the Senate. Please note that we will not be processing any new ERC claims until a final vote is reached. Our team of attorneys and CPAs is closely monitoring the situation. For more information about this new legislation, read this Tax Update from our legal team on our blog.